Stand-Up Comedy 160
Comedy Class Syllabus:
- Learn traditional improv techniques and how to apply them to your craft
- Hone your stand-up comedy skills through group games and exercises
- Translate your ideas into a crafted act using the skills improvisers use
- Mold topics into an on-the-spot original routine through a weekly on-stage performance workshop
Comedy Classes Include:
- Six two-hour-long comedy class sessions at Helium Comedy Club
Upcoming Class Dates
April - May Session (Sunday Classes)
- Class Dates: 4/10, 4/24, 5/1, 5/8, 5/15, 5/22 (No class Sunday, April 17)
- Class Time: 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM PM
- Grad Show 5/25 @ 8:30 pm
PLEASE NOTE: Due to the fact that all our instructors are working comedians, some classes may be covered by a substitute instructor
- Students must be properly wearing a mask at all times while inside the club and maintain social distance. In addition, due to the recently updated mandates from the City of Philadelphia, ALL GUESTS must provide PROOF OF VACCINATION (second shot at least 14 days before the event) to enter the building. A Valid ID must match the proof of vaccination.
Is this class for beginners?
- Yes. Our Stand-Up 101 and 160 classes are both entry-level courses. All 200 level courses and higher require completion of an entry-level course or permission from the instructor to attend.
What's the difference between Stand-Up 101 and 160?
- Our 101 class is more of a structured, classroom-style course which builds your comedy skills from the ground up, starting with a solid foundation of basic comedy knowledge. Stand-Up 160 is a much more fluid class, using improv techniques to help you think through your jokes on-the-spot. The 160 class is ideal for people interested in learning improv, those open to learning stand-up in a more freeform way, and improv'ers looking to learn stand-up. Both classes, however, are for beginners, although we encourage extremely new students to start with our 101 before taking the 160.
My child is 13 years old, can I sign them up for a class?
- Unfortunately, no. All Helium Comedy Academy classes are 18+.
How much progress can I expect to gain from this class?
- As with any class or lesson, you get out what you put in. Those who participate, do the homework assignments, and put real effort in their work will see significant advancement in their skill level over someone who was merely present in class.
What is the benefit of taking this class versus performing on open mics?
- Time saved. In 6 weeks we will teach you the skills needed to become an Open Mic regular and then some. Skills that take people quite awhile to learn on their own.
Do I need to have any material ready before the class?
- There's no preparation required to start of any of our entry-level classes. Obviously, there's also no harm in bringing some material, ideas, or jokes you've been working on to the first day of class but that's totally optional!